FRIENDS OF MITCHAM'S CORNER
- Reports from the City Deal consultants setting out the findings from the initial consultation
on transport ideas for Milton Road and Histon Road will be published on Tuesday 24th May.
These will recommend a preferred option for each scheme. We will post links here as soon as the
reports are available.
- Two important City Deal meetings will consider these reports. First, on Thursday 2nd June
the larger City Deal Assembly will have a long meeting to discuss the recommendations. This will
be held from 10am in South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne. Following this, on Thursday 9th June
the City Deal Executive Board will meet and decide what proposals to take forward to the
second round of consultation over the summer. This meeting is at 2:30pm at the Meadows Community
Centre, Cambridge. The FMC committee will attend these meetings and argue that Mitcham's Corner should
be included in the first tranche of City Deal funding. If you can attend, please come along and support us. We will post
agendas for the meetings as soon as they are available.
- The FMC committee's response to the Milton Road consultation, submitted in February, can be
See our Milton Road Scheme page for more details.
- A hustings meeting on the City Deal Milton Road scheme was held on 28th April, and we heard
the views of local election candidates on the Milton Road scheme and the future of Mitcham's
Corner. A video of the meeting is available from
Richard Taylor's page on YouTube, and a summary can be downloaded from the
Milton Road Residents' Association.
- Our Annual General Meeting was held on Wednesday 20th April, and the minutes are available
here. These include a review of FMC's
activities this year, and plans for the future.
- The City Council's planning department has been holding a number of meetings and workshops to
discuss how the proposals for Mitcham's Corner contained in Policy 21 of the Draft Local Plan can
be implemented. Under the Plan, the Mitcham's Corner area is designated as an Opportunity Area and
a master plan will be drawn up for its redevelopment. A member of the FMC committee has attended
some of these meetings, and we are lobbying for City Deal funds to be assigned for the reconfiguration
of Mitcham's Corner.
- This year's Mitcham's Models event, with mannequins decorated
by artists and featuring poems by local poets, will soon be coming to an end. The models which have
been displayed in shop windows around Mitcham's Corner will be auctioned in support of local children's
charity Blue Smile. Details of the auction will be posted here; meanwhile you can follow the models
- The 20 mph speed limit on Victoria Road has now been in place for some time, and does appear
to have reduced the speed of vehicle traffic, improving safety and the experience of pedestrians
- FMC has been lobbying the local bus companies to increase the number of bus
services stopping near Mitcham's Corner. Stagecoach have agreed to run a six-month
trial during which the Park-and-Ride service will stop in Milton Road, opposite the Westbrook Centre.
A starting date is expected to be announced shortly.